Aw, drats! The training was on April 25, 2018 and registration is now closed.
Communication Cafe members get invites to these special (free) workshops a few times per year. Sign up for the Communication Cafe to get the next invite for this workshop and other opportunities.
How do you sign up for The Communication Cafe? It's easy AND FREE! Simply choose your welcome gift as a thank you for signing up. Click whichever one of these interests you the most to learn more >>
Are you a woman academic, scientist, evaluator, or researcher who is ready to join my fight* against #DeathByPowerPoint?
*high five* Welcome!
Your first assignment: Register now for my FREE LIVE TRAINING WORKSHOP.
*a non-violent fight using the weapons of good design + creativity :)
Workshop: Quick start presentation design strategies that grad students through PhDs can IMPLEMENT TODAY
Objective: In less than 1 hour, you'll have the skills to:
- Decide when to care about slide design, and when to let it go
- Identify & remove ineffective elements from your slides
- Create your own unique slide design style, so your slides no longer blend in with everyone else
- Apply the top 3 information design strategies so you look like a slide design pro
Weds April 25, 2018
Workshop training agenda:
The workshop is about 40 minutes + the Q&A session.
- When slide design actually matters
- Your #1 enemy to giving effective presentations
- How slide templates (even some custom templates)"feed" that enemy
- What to do instead of using templates
- The top 3 information design strategies to improve any slide design
- A Q&A session
Only those are signed up to my email list have access to my free training. If you'd like to join my email list to get access to this, and other, training opportunities, please follow the instructions below.
1. Enter your information into the form below. There is a replay available for 48 hours after the workshop ends, but you have to register to get the link.
2. You will receive an email to confirm your registration for the workshop and to sign up for my general email list (which btw you can unsubscribe from at any time).
3. After you confirm your registration, you will receive an email with the handout and workshop link. You will receive 1 reminder email the day of the workshop.
4. The workshop is hosted on Zoom. If you can, arrive about 10-15 minutes early to make sure the application works and to reserve your spot. Registration is not limited, but live attendance is limited to the first 100 attendees.
Meet your trainer
Hi :) I'm Dr. Echo Rivera
About Your Trainer
I've been doing research and evaluation for 12 years now, and I spent even more years as a student. As an undergrad and grad student, I grew frustrated with text-heavy, boring presentations. I craved better stories, and better slides. I noticed a need for more fun, engagement, and design within academia. Frankly, I was bored to tears.
Turns out, I wasn't alone. #DeathByPowerpoint is a common phrase, cried across the globe. I refused to accept it any longer, because too much important research was being dismissed or misused. How are we supposed to reverse climate change, clean our oceans, end institutionalized oppression, use clean energy, end violence and poverty, and promote a healthy and happy Earth if no one listens to us? To me, it's all connected, and it's urgent that we work together to get our work heard, understood, and used for positive social change. All academics, scientists, evaluators, and researchers deliver slide-based presentations, so it seemed like a great place to start.
I'm doing my small part by training and mentoring others on how to create effective, compelling presentations. I'm here to leverage my research/evaluation background and PhD in Community Psychology to help you understand how to tell data-based stories that will resonate and increase the likelihood that your audience will actually understand, remember, and use your information.
Join me! I can't wait to make you an awesome presenter!